[ComProj] Logo

Martin Peeks martinp23 at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 4 11:42:55 UTC 2007

Good afternoon,

Guillaume Paumier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "Note that no derivative of the Wikimedia logo can be published without
> prior approval from the Foundation."

That's the understanding I've always had, and I do try to steer clear of
that logo for any purpose.

> Again, I don't understand why Comproj (an informal unofficial group of
> users) wants to look like an official branch of the Wikimedia Foundation.

Although I think that a logo can be justified on the basis of it giving
us a visual identity, I agree with Guillaume that using the official
wmf-logo might not be appropriate.  Perhaps any logo should be more
focused towards communication - pending its licencing (which I don't
want to check right now!), the "communications kite" shown on the
Contact Us pages on many projects seems to be a good substitute.

Thanks,

Martin.