[Commons-l] Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

Stephen Bain stephen.bain at gmail.com
Mon May 16 20:13:57 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 5:56 AM, Chris McKenna <cmckenna at sucs.org> wrote:

> But who defines what topics are acceptable for a "least surprise"
> approach?

The community of course, by consensus.

> By this principal we should not have on the main page images of humans,
> gods, maps of any territory under dispute (Armenia/Azerbijan,
> Israel/Paelestine, Northern Ireland, Libya, the Golan Heights, Kashmir
> (sp?), etc, etc), weapons, death, women, nudity (partial or otherwise),
> body parts, meat, laboratory animals, bodily fluids, etc, etc.

That would be an absolute guarantee of the freedom to choose to avoid
speech. All we need is reasonable protection. What is reasonable can
be decided by the community.

> The whole world does not subscribe to the American views about what is and
> is not suitable for any given audience.

No. But the point is, nor does the whole world subscribe to American
Revolutionary absolutist libertarian paranoia.

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.bain at gmail.com