[Commons-l] Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

Chris McKenna cmckenna at sucs.org
Mon May 16 19:56:39 UTC 2011

On Tue, 17 May 2011, Stephen Bain wrote:

> In this context, applying some sort of 'least surprise' based approach
> to what goes on the main page is simply a reasonable step toward
> protecting a person's right to avoid speech they wish to avoid.

But who defines what topics are acceptable for a "least surprise"
approach?
By this principal we should not have on the main page images of humans,
gods, maps of any territory under dispute (Armenia/Azerbijan,
Israel/Paelestine, Northern Ireland, Libya, the Golan Heights, Kashmir
(sp?), etc, etc), weapons, death, women, nudity (partial or otherwise),
body parts, meat, laboratory animals, bodily fluids, etc, etc.

The whole world does not subscribe to the American views about what is and
is not suitable for any given audience.

----
Chris McKenna

cmckenna at sucs.org