[Commons-l] Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

Steven Walling steven.walling at gmail.com
Mon May 16 18:46:45 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 11:21 AM, Cary Bass <bastique.ml at bastique.com>wrote:

> We need an active group of contributors who represent at the very least
> some cross-section of not only Commons contributors but of interested
> re-users of Commons content to actively monitor and maintain the POTD.
> This is not the first time that something inappropriate for Main Page
> content has appeared and I doubt it will be the last.
>
> Cary

+1 to that.

In any case, I closed the deletion discussion. Commons policy about scope
says that any freely-licensed image in use on other projects is considered
automatically in scope, so it's a fruitless argument to have.

If peopled don't want this image on the Main Page (and I count myself in
that camp), the thing to do is get it de-listed as Featured or change the
Commons policy about what Featured images are eligible for the Main Page.

Steven