[Commons-l] Fwd: [Gendergap] Photo of the Day on Wikimedia Commons

Sarah Stierch sarah at sarahstierch.com
Mon May 16 06:25:28 UTC 2011

Thanks Steven - I appreciate that you fought the good fight and I'm
disgusted that comments about T&A were some of the key reasons for this
feature.

While I've seen my fair share of anime videos (Tentacles and /all/ that
involves) - It was an epic fail when I was looking up an image with my
65 year old father and that was the image on the front page. The first
question he asks is: "This is the organization you volunteer for?"

Images like this have their place, and despite the artistic skill of the
contributor it is really disappointing that this was chosen to showcase
quality media on Commons. it sets back the work of those of us working
towards broadening gender equality and female involvement in Wikimedia.

I also am proud of my new title of being a Regional Ambassador and I am
working towards becoming a GLAM Ambassador - images like this being
showcased do 'few wonders' for my efforts in regards to fighting the
uphill battle to show Wikipedia, Commons, etc. as reliable and quality
starting points for research, development and cultural dissemination.

#wikilove,

Sarah

--
Sarah Stierch Consulting
Historical, cultural & artistic research, advising & event planning.