[Commons-l] Where to report hotlinking?

Hay (Husky) huskyr at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 16:54:49 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 1:29 PM, Alex Brollo <alex.brollo at gmail.com> wrote:
> As a "hotlinker" (far from a very active one), thanks for your comments, as
> I told you I use hotlinkg mainly into "volatile" communication tools like
> forums and not into websites. It would be great if an informative box would
> be added to File: page, containing a brief mention to general Mediawiki
> politics about hotlinking and  the html code for a correct hotlinking, if
> really needed.
As Gregory indicated already, EXIF data is not a really good way to
add attribution metadata to files.

However, i think some way to make it easier for people to add images
to their pages using some kind of easy tool on the File: page itself,
akin to the YouTube embed code is a pretty good idea. Maybe some kind
of iframe or Javascript gadget would be nice, that could also be used
for attribution and indicating that more media are available on
Commons.

-- Hay