[Commons-l] Pikiwiki project problems

Magnus Manske magnusmanske at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 7 21:36:36 UTC 2009

I haven't been involved in this, but I'll add my 2 Eurocent...

On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 8:17 PM, Dror Kamir<dqamir at bezeqint.net> wrote:

> - The upload bot uses a standard Commons' template. I didn't see any
> rigid rules about how this template should be filled in. We did our best
> to fill it in properly. In any case, all the information needed is
> there. Some amendments can and will be made, but blocking the project
> for placing the "source" information two lines below where expected??

Sounds like it will take only a minute to fix in the upload bot. Is
that done by now?

> - People who upload images to the Pikiwiki interface sign a legally
> binding statement in Hebrew. There is no use showing you the statement
> unless you speak Hebrew. I can translate it, but why on earth don't you
> trust the word of a recognized Wikimedia chapter, and two known Israeli
> NGOs that all they do is legal? Especially as the names of the
> contributors are available to you.

Could a (low-res) scan of each of these statements be automatically
mailed (or otherwise transfered) to OTRS?

> - The images contributed are saved on the Commons. They are saved
> temporarily before they are uploaded and then deleted from the temporary
> server. By blocking the upload bot you caused a jam at the temporary
> server, and quite soon the whole project will freeze, as people won't be
> able to keep loading images.

Is the temporary server running out of disk space? Hard to imagine these days.
If it's not cheap disk space, then what is causing the "jam"?

Cheers,
Magnus