[Commons-l] Pikiwiki project problems

Dror Kamir dqamir at bezeqint.net
Sun Jun 7 19:17:34 UTC 2009

We the people of the Commos? And what am I? A stranger?
By this saying alone you prove my point that there is a serious problem
with the way this project is perceived by its administrators.

- The upload bot uses a standard Commons' template. I didn't see any
rigid rules about how this template should be filled in. We did our best
to fill it in properly. In any case, all the information needed is
there. Some amendments can and will be made, but blocking the project
for placing the "source" information two lines below where expected??
Having a bot which will fix minor errors in previously uploaded template
is not as hard as you suggest.

- People who upload images to the Pikiwiki interface sign a legally
binding statement in Hebrew. There is no use showing you the statement
unless you speak Hebrew. I can translate it, but why on earth don't you
trust the word of a recognized Wikimedia chapter, and two known Israeli
NGOs that all they do is legal? Especially as the names of the
contributors are available to you.

- The images contributed are saved on the Commons. They are saved
temporarily before they are uploaded and then deleted from the temporary
server. By blocking the upload bot you caused a jam at the temporary
server, and quite soon the whole project will freeze, as people won't be
able to keep loading images.

Dror K