[Commons-l] revoking licenses /user-request-deletions

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 20:05:01 UTC 2008

2008/9/17 Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com>:

> A more marginal case would be someone who hasn't suddenly decided they
> don't want to play any more (like our original, *but* has just
> realised that the GFDL or a Creative Commons license wasn't quite what
> they thought it was.

This is a real-life circumstance. Such cases always have to be dealt
with individually, and not being a dick about it is important. People
just don't get these licenses. We've had people reach admin on en:wp
without understanding that they're supposed to have licensed the work
irrevocably for the whole world and not just Wikimedia.

> At some point in this, it goes from being reasonable to unreasonable,
> and I don't think we can draw a general line very easily - it really
> does boil down to whether or not the person seems like they're being
> silly.

We have to start with the assumption they're not being.

- d.