[Commons-l] [Wikimediauk-l] Museums that allow photography, e.g. V&A

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 21:58:54 UTC 2008

On 27/03/2008, Matthew Brown <morven at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 1:12 PM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:

>  >  The next generation of high end point and shoots may include an
>  >  increasing number of low light features  (well they will if the
>  >  manufacturers decide that 12 mega pixels is enough for now).

> Forgive me for rolling my eyes on that one.  Except for Fuji (and even
>  that in a limited way), every time the p&s camera makers are faced
>  with a choice between more megapixels and better image quality, the
>  megapixels win.

With Fuji, between the spectacularly good F31fd and its mediocre
replacement the F50fd, even Fuji fell afoul of that one. The F50fd is
12MP instead of 6MP and ... has the same functional resolution of
image. And worse low-light performance. There's a reason second-hand
F31fd on eBay are now going for around £200 on eBay when they were
£150 new.

I'm likely to try to get myself a superzoom, which at least has a
bigger light bucket on the front even if the sensor is the same as the
compacts and ultracompacts. Even old DSLRs still hold their price
annoyingly well.

I'm assuming a tripod will be considered excessively annoying
behaviour if one uses it on every damn thing in the place. But they
observably have no issues with people wandering around snapping
everything they can. Lots of people had their cameras there doing just
as I was, and only a few were boorish to use the flash.

- d.