[Commons-l] Categories and the TOL

Daniel Schwen lists at schwen.de
Tue Mar 11 16:18:07 UTC 2008

> Unfortunately that seems to be always the case when it comes to
> categorizing. Few people are interested in categorization at all, and

IMO there is no point in discussing it at the present time. I've tried it and
failed.

We have to make categories useful for commons, and that means turning them
into a tagging system (what they technically already are). And that can only
be accomplished by getting category intersections to work.
That would also mean getting rid of the "most precise category" paradigm.

* Who needs a category "Bridges in Swizerland" when you can tag images
with "Bridge" and "Switzerland".

* Who needs small browsable categories when you can have small browsable
intersection results (and galleries for that matter)

So when we get the infrastructure we should have the discussion, and create a
stringently enforced policy on the issue
--
[[en:User:Dschwen]]
[[de:Benutzer:Dschwen]]