[Commons-l] Categories and the TOL

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 16:16:14 UTC 2008

On 11/03/2008, Bryan Tong Minh <bryan.tongminh at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Stan Shebs <stanshebs at earthlink.net> wrote:

> > Given the small number of people participating
>  >  (while lots of people upload TOL images, far fewer try to organize
>  >  them), that has always seemed indicative of a lack of consensus, and so
>  >  nothing changes.

>  Unfortunately that seems to be always the case when it comes to
>  categorizing. Few people are interested in categorization at all, and
>  even fewer people seem to be interested in discussing it. It is a
>  major problem for Commons I think, but I don't know whether we can
>  solve it.

Active work is in progress on category intersections in MediaWiki,
which will allow us to use categories more like tags - which should
solve really quite a lot of our category problems in one swoop.

(The next swoop will be cats/tags with different names for the same
category, so we don't have to do everything in English. That's likely
to be much easier than getting category intersections to work well in
MySQL ...)

- d.