[Commons-l] Automatic messages to users: guessing userpreferredlanguage

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 14:37:32 UTC 2007

Andrew Gray wrote:
> On 07/10/2007, Alex Nordstrom wrote:
>> It's not quite that arbitrary. You can't really equate the effort of
>> checking for and complying with such demands every time you need to
>> leave someone a message with the effort of ticking a checkbox.
>
> ...a checkbox many people don't know is there.
>
> I just ticked it for the first time ever. Mind you, I don't think I'd
> ever even looked at my Commons preferences page before, given it still
> has two things I try to remember to fix (time offsets and equation
> rendering)...
>
> Case study time!

Maybe add that checkbox on the account creation?
It's already on the message when the account is created, but could help.

It would be interesting to have statistics about options popularity
after advertising new options. What about adding to mediawiki to tell
you new options since you last logged in? So we wouldn't have so many
old users unaware of the new facilities.