[Commons-l] EDRI-gram newsletter : UK House of Commons culture committee wants copyright extension

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Thu May 24 16:42:17 UTC 2007

> On 5/24/07, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Oh yes it does. Ordnance Survey maps for example.
> >

> Are not sound recordings. They are not talking about crown copyright
> so the publication +50 on OS maps would remain.
>
> The sound recording copyright is somewhat non standard under UK law
> where everything else other than typesetting (20 years probably one of
> the few copyright lengths I agree with) is life +70.

Typesetting and "discovery" are both oddities - if you discovered and
published a new Shakespeare script then (apart from being offered
three different chairs of literature) you'd get a copyright of
something on the order of fifteen-twenty years even though the work,
if published, would be out of copyright aeons ago.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk