[Commons-l] Commons Picture of the Year 2006

Bryan Tong Minh bryan.tongminh at gmail.com
Sat Mar 3 10:32:16 UTC 2007

Dear Wikimedians,

The Wikimedia Commons Picture of the Year 2006 competition is now
over, and the winner has been selected. Thank you for voting.
Of the 662 Wikimedians who voted, 83 selected 'Aurora Borealis' [1]
as the 'Wikimedia Commons Picture of 2006'.

Second was 'Sans Domicile Fixe' [2] with 78 votes and joint third were
'Blue Jay' [3] and 'Hoverflies mating in midair' [4] with 70 votes
each.  We congratulate the authors of these pictures for their
exceptional quality. The full results are available on [5]

Some user comments:
* ''Fantastic! Love the earth.''
* ''Crazy. Wish I could vote for them all.''
* ''If I had to pic one thing I'd like to see, I'd go with that. Stunning.''

We are also proud to announce the release of an archive of all the
2006 Wikimedia Commons Featured Pictures. You can find more
information on [6].

Thank you all for voting,
The Commons Community

[1] http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Polarlicht_2.jpg