[Commons-l] [Foundation-l] We should permit Flash video playback

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Sat Jul 21 06:42:29 UTC 2007

> The flawed language was not included in any of the public drafts which
> were released later. I thought the matter was resolved. Then the
> license was released with the problematic language included.

The crucial point is that both on this issue and on others, there has
been a disturbing quickness to condemn and a frustrating reluctance to
communicate. The only reason this is beginning to change seems to be
that people from the CC Board are now on the relevant mailing lists,
not that there has been more outreach from us to them. I don't mean to
get on your case too harshly, but let's please try to reach out to the
relevant people whenever possible. I can help and do respond to
e-mail.

> Meanwhile, other projects like CZ might actually solve the terrible
> quality consistency problems we have... As a reader that's what would
> make me switch favorite encyclopedias... not a six-month delay in
> accepting cc-by-*-3.0.

I don't see a reason for any further delays, but I agree that the
quality issue is paramount. Work on that is ongoing; I'll also make
sure it will be a pertinent point on the agenda during the Wikimania
meetings.

> > Case in point: You argue that the Archive is not a suitable partner
> > because they are currently not supporting Theora.

> Cite?

"Indeed, they have a lot of transcoding infrastructure in place... Yet
they don't offer their video content in free formats. ... You have
been advocating parallel distribution in free and non-free formats, an
action which I and others have argued is inconsistent with our
long-term mission social good, but it is an action which is at least
worth discussion.  But IA doesn't manage to even do this much."

Again, this seems like a case of being quick to condemn and reluctant
to communicate. I believe we can work with the Archive and make sure
that free formats become "first class citizens" in everything we do
with them.

> I've given a half dozen reaons why there is no cause to host video
> there.

Can you make me a quick bullet point list?

> And of course I'd love to talk to them about it, but your like to
> harbor meetings with technical projects for yourself,

Just talk to me. I do tend to announce all my meetings on internal-l
days if not weeks before they happen, unlike any other Wikimedian I
know. This particular discussion was unplanned, which sometimes
happens and should also be fine, but there are no firm outcomes as of
yet. I can make an introduction to Brewster anytime you want.
--
Toward Peace, Love & Progress:
Erik