[Commons-l] Fwd: CC 3.0 licenses

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 19:32:58 UTC 2007

The reasoning below appears to hinge on the notion that the 'except
clause' is either vague about which law applies, or that it expects
that the law where a dispute is happening is which applies.

However, the creative commons ported licenses claim to apply the laws
of a specific jurisdiction. For example:

"6.4. This Licence shall be governed by the law of England and Wales
and the parties irrevocably submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of
the Courts of England and Wales."
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/uk/legalcode

I don't understand how you can write a license which says:

* This agreement is subject to the laws of X (a place where Y is not
permitted by law)
* This license is violated if you do Y, unless Y otherwise allowed by
applicable law.

And not be creating an effective prohibition against Y, even in
jurisdictions where Y would normally be allowed, because the
performance of Y (an act not permitted by the law that the parties
agreed to be bound by) terminates the licenses, without which the
recipient of the work has no ability to "Reproduce, Distribute or
Publicly Perform" at all.

The latter part of the 'except clause' is interesting:

"Licensor agrees that in those jurisdictions (e.g. Japan), in which
any exercise of the right granted in Section 3(b) of this License (the
right to make Adaptations) would be deemed to be a distortion,
mutilation, modification or other derogatory action prejudicial to the
Original Author's honor and reputation, the Licensor will waive or not
assert, as appropriate, this Section, to the fullest extent permitted
by the applicable national law, to enable You to reasonably exercise
Your right under Section 3(b) of this License (right to make
Adaptations) but not otherwise."

With exception of the example "(e.g. Japan)" and the words "any
exercise", I think this text is exactly what the entirety of the
except clause should have been. The addition of the word "any"
completely ruins it, and will certainly influence the interpretation
of the preceding text.  It's clear from this text that the licenses
does not maximally wave rights which break the freeness of the
licenses except where the applicable law would prevent any action
under the license. It's quite possible that the applicable law  could
be a law not local to the recipient, as per the license, not
aggressive enough to active the moral rights waver, but still prohibit
some kinds of derivatives.