[Commons-l] CC by 3.0 not allowed on Commons?

Robin Schwab contact at robinschwab.ch
Fri Jul 13 04:44:50 UTC 2007

Hi

I asked a photographer for permission to use pictures on Commons. I
filled out the email permission template with the CC-by 3.0 license
after having read this:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/

"A new version of this license is available. You should use it for new
works, and you may want to relicense existing works under it"

After recieving the license I see that CC by 3.0 is not allowed on
Commons. Can anyone explain this?
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Cc-by-3.0

I feel now very stupid to ask the photographer again for another
permission in 2.5.

I strongly suggest either to accept CC by 3.0 or to ask to remove this
misleading text we link to in hundred thousands of images.

Help appreciated.

Regards

Robin