[Commons-l] CC by 3.0 not allowed on Commons?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 18:41:13 UTC 2007

On 14/07/07, Fruggo <fruggo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe under UK law it is possible to waive moral rights, but under Dutch law
> it isn't.
> The restrictions those inalienable moral rights place on what you can do
> with the work aren't any different from the restrictions Dutch (and other
> countries) laws place on the use of the work.

However, the wording of the licenses appears to place usage
restrictions upon the works in countries where those laws do not
apply.

If this is not the case, I eagerly await Joichi's clarification and
explanation, as noted.

> If those restrictions are the
> reason to not accept 3.0, than we shouldn't accept any "free" pictures from
> the Netherlands (and other countries), since the moral rights connected to
> these "free" pictures can never be waived.

You may think you're presenting that as a reductio ad absurdum, but
this is actually a serious possibility.

- d.