[Commons-l] Cross project perception of Commons?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 14:40:50 UTC 2007

On 23/08/07, Herby <herbythyme at fmail.co.uk> wrote:

> To me this is a wider PR thing.  When I was on en wp I knew next to
> nothing about commons.  On this list recently we were equated with a
> "service" to Wikipedia.

Commons was created as a service project to avoid having the same
image uploaded to multiple Wikipedias. Its function as a general free
media repository for the public good came later.

>  Elsewhere (I forget again where) I mentioned
> that I changed an upload warning template on Meta that suggested
> uploading material to en wp.  I really do not think that we (our
> function & us) are well understood and I think this is worth some
> thought.

The trouble is making sure both work well.

We really need the cross-wiki links to where images are used. That's
what pisses people off - having stuff just vanish.

- d.