[Commons-l] Cross project perception of Commons?

Herby herbythyme at fmail.co.uk
Thu Aug 23 14:23:58 UTC 2007

Hum

I'm guessing some section of the population of this list will have a go
at this BUT I do think we need to look at some PR issues.  A while back
there was a sharp rap on the knuckles on Meta about deleting images
because it was "better to have them locally as Commons just delete
things without warning".  That one I think was pacified in part & I
cannot put my finger on a link.

However...

I have recently spent rather more time on en wp (please don't get me
started, I'm not keen on the place or indeed the interactions that go on
there).

I felt folks should be aware of this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Administrators%27_noticeboard/Incidents#BetacommandBot_and_commons.
 There are some pretty strong views aired there & I would ask that folks
think before they are tempted to join in (removal of previously licensed
material will get some folks hot under the collar!).

To me this is a wider PR thing.  When I was on en wp I knew next to
nothing about commons.  On this list recently we were equated with a
"service" to Wikipedia.  Elsewhere (I forget again where) I mentioned
that I changed an upload warning template on Meta that suggested
uploading material to en wp.  I really do not think that we (our
function & us) are well understood and I think this is worth some
thought.

I'm off to sit quietly somewhere and not go back to my mailbox for a
while!!  Just thought people should know.

Me :-)
--
  Herby
  herbythyme at fmail.co.uk