[Commons-l] Does Commons need a separate server for external tools?

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 10:56:09 UTC 2007

Re: the discussion about an API and external tools,
We have a bit of a problem in that we are using both the toolserver
and the regular servers in ways they were not intended for. They are
both really intended for Wikimedia-internal use. If we use them for
external tools, Wikimedia does not directly benefit. If we were to
have any great success, it would likely backfire and result in the
thing being shut down or restricted.

So, do you think we should (sometime in the future, not tomorrow :))
consider approaching a chapter or outside org to donate hardware
specifically for this purpose?
Call it the Commons thumbcache server.

cheers
Brianna