[Advocacy Advisors] Commission survey on digital education and copyright

Dimitar Parvanov Dimitrov dimitar.parvanov.dimitrov at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 10:06:54 UTC 2015

Hi all,

Without taking too much focus and energy off copyright reform and the
current debate in the Parliament this is to let you know that the European
Commission is currently conducting a survey on "Digital Education and
Copyright". [1]

I have received information that so far the overwhelming majority of
participants have been publishers and collective management organisations.
We need to step up the game and get more free knowledge and free
information organisations to participate.

The survey is pretty much straightforward. I filled it out keeping our
Position Paper [2] in mind. The overall question is whether current
copyright is helpful or a hurdle to digital education. It also asks whether
current copyright guarantees high quality of educational content and thus
copyrighted content is of higher quality than free licensed content.

In this case more important than having multiple Wikimedia chapters saying
more or less the same thing would be to actually get other like-minded
organisations to participate. If you can think of likely candidates willing
to spare 15-20 minutes in your networks, please share!

Thank you!
Dimi

[1]http://surveys.ppmi.lt/s/copyright/
[2]https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/EU_policy/Position_Paper_on_EU_Copyright