[Advocacy Advisors] Fwd: [Wikimedia-l] Does the European trade secrets law pose a threat to editors?

James Salsman jsalsman at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 13:43:27 UTC 2015

This is important enough to forward here because it's being ignored on
wikimedia-l:

> http://www.euractiv.com/sections/health-consumers/new-law-muzzle-whistleblowers-315357

I think we need to formulate a strong response to broad trade secrets
laws, to protect editors and the Foundation from abuse. In the past,
the PCI Consortium and Sony have been extremely aggressive, requiring
Foundation officials to waste a lot of time revision-deleting factual,
de facto public information, which may at one time have been a trade
secret but has long since left the genie's bottle or horses' barn,
including practical information about home-brew PC construction and a
40 digit hexadecimal number, respectively.

I hope we can advocate for a law revision that doesn't punish the
Foundation or editors for other people's leaks.