[Advocacy Advisors] UK Parliament releases report on digital democracy

Stevie Benton stevie.benton at wikimedia.org.uk
Mon Jan 26 15:46:32 UTC 2015

Hello everyone,

The UK Parliament (the institution, as opposed to the government) released a
report on digital democracy <http://www.digitaldemocracy.parliament.uk/>.
There are a couple of recommendations that might have some implications for
us and I think they are good news.

Firstly, they want to make all parliamentary information (including
broadcast footage) to be released openly by the end of 2016.

Secondly, they want to make sure that all of Hansard
<http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/hansard/> (the official
verbatim report of the proceedings of both the House of Lords and the House
of Commons) freely available online in formats suitable for re-use.

I need to do a bit of digging to check on licensing but both of these
things could be significant wins for us. I've put together a short blog
post with some opinions on what this may mean for us -
https://blog.wikimedia.org.uk/2015/01/report-from-the-speakers-commission-on-digital-democracy/

Do let me know if you have any comments or questions.

With regards,

Stevie

--

Stevie Benton
Head of External Relations

Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England
and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513.
Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a
global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the
Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

*Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal
control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.*