[Advocacy Advisors] Free Knowledge Advocacy: Planned Wikimania London Activities

Dimitar Parvanov Dimitrov dimitar.parvanov.dimitrov at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 11:10:35 UTC 2014

Hi all,

We're planning 5 activities related to advocacy during Wikimania in London
[1].

Here's the list so you can comment, criticise, praise (yes, please) or just
say you wish to help organising one or several of those (double yes). We
have two programme submissions, two side-events and one "work meeting" .

*1. Panel Discussion *[2]  - Saturday 16:30-18
"How should Wikimedia advocate for free knowledge?"
Panelists are Luis Villa, Jan Engelmann, Andrea Zanni, Parker Higgins and
Katherine Maher
*If you want to change something (panelists, topic), this is still
possible. *

*2. Talk/Workshop *[3] - Saturday ca. 15:30, just before Panel Discussion
Update about the EU activities and brainstorming on cool project ideas tht
could generate political and media impact. Idea is to provide a little
background and set the tone for the panel discussion.

*Dimi and whoever wishes to take part. *

*3. Weasel Whiteboard on Wheels*
The idea is to have a whiteboard with Wendy and someone from our group
going around the conference and engage people in conversation about
advocacy, free knowledge and policy. The whiteboard will pose questions
that we need to answer for our strategy planning. Example: What would the
best 30-second pitch for Freedom of Panorama be? Can you think of any
groups in your country that would be interested in the issue?
*Anyone who wishes can do this for a while. Not compulsory schedule.*

*4. Networking Lunch* - Sunday at lunch
The idea is that a lot of civil society groups/activits/NGOs will be
present at Wikimania this year (e.g. ORG, EFF, OK, Initiative für
Netzfreiheit). We should take an hour at lunch or in the evening to get to
know each other and catch each other up on what we're working on. A lot of
synergies and know-how transfer possible here! I am trying to see if I can
get a seperate room reserved and the registrations lists, so I can invite
the people.
*Please feedback - still just planning*

*5. Working on Strategy *- Thursday and Monday
We need to come up with a more coherent and long-term advocacy strategy, at
least when it comes to our core issues like PD-Gov and FoP. Questions like:
Who are the main decision makers? Which actors are possible allies? What is
our best 30-second and 3-minute pitch? Which tactics sould we use (direct
lobbying/coalitions/petitions/media work/showcases/studies/information
materials)?
As people have incompatible travel schedules I will offer a meeting on this
on Thursday and Monday after the conference. I expect Monday to be more
focused and productive, though.

Cheers,
Dimi

[1]https://wikimania2014.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page