[Advocacy Advisors] copyright and TPP - ourfairdeal.org

Luis Villa lvilla at wikimedia.org
Sat Jul 5 19:50:05 UTC 2014

Hi, all-

In December, we wrote asking about joining a letter on copyright term in
the Trans-Pacific Partnership, which signed after consulting with this
group.[1] Unfortunately, current drafts of the TPP apparently still contain
similar language, as well as language that would threaten intermediary
liability protections.

There is a meeting on Wednesday in Canada between negotiators of the TPP,
so we've been asked to join two new letters restating our opposition to
these changes (one letter for term limits and one for intermediary
liability).

These letters are being coordinated through Our Fair Deal. Our Fair Deal is
a coalition of authors and groups focused on opposing negative changes to
copyright (like term length and intermediary liability) in TPP. You can
read more about them at ourfairdeal.org.

Given the previous discussion on this list, we plan to sign on to the
letters (whose deadline is Sunday night, Pacific). We also think it makes
sense to join the Our Fair Deal campaign, since protecting the public
domain is critical to our mission of distributing free and public domain
content, and the impact of the TPP could be substantial, both within the US
and more globally. Does this group have any thoughts on joining the
campaign?

Thanks-
Luis

[1]
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/advocacy_advisors/2013-December/000289.html

--
Luis Villa
Deputy General Counsel

*This message may be confidential or legally privileged. If you have
received it by accident, please delete it and let us know about the
mistake. As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.*