[Advocacy Advisors] Commissioner on copyright reform and FoP

Stevie Benton stevie.benton at wikimedia.org.uk
Thu Jul 3 10:56:21 UTC 2014

This is excellent! Progress may take time, but it's beginning to feel like
we are getting somewhere.

I touch on the FoP issue in the upcoming Wikimedia UK annual review booklet
- https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/File:Wikimedia_AR_2014_v4.pdf - in the
section about advocacy. I use Romaine's excellent image of the blacked out
European Parliament.

Let's keep pushing!

Stevie

On 3 July 2014 11:48, Dimitar Parvanov Dimitrov <
dimitar.parvanov.dimitrov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Neelie Kores, outgoing Commissioner for the Digital Agenda held a speech
> at a conference in Amsterdam yesterday where she spoke about the need of
> the planned copyright reform. [1] Among other things, she said:
>
> *When you can't sing happy birthday, or post a picture of the Atomium, how
> is that fair or reasonable, how is that something you can explain to
> ordinary citizens?*
>
> Yes, it is an outgoing Commissioner and DG CONNECT is the not the lead DG
> for copyright, but this is the first time the European Commission said
> anything about Freedom of Panorama. I know for a fact that it was the
> members of the Free Knowledge Advocacy Group EU and their constant talk to
> anyone about this issue how the Atomium example showed up on the radars of
> both DG CONNECT and DG MARKT. In this line of thought I just wanted to say:
> Thank you and great job, everyone!
>
> Let's make sure we keep FoP on the table. We actually have the great
> examples and stories to tell.
>
> Cheers,
> Dimi

Stevie Benton
Head of External Relations
Wikimedia UK
+44 (0) 20 7065 0993 / +44 (0) 7803 505 173
@StevieBenton

Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England
and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513.
Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a
global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the
Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

*Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal
control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.*