[Advocacy Advisors] Wikipedia Zero and net neutrality

Cristian Consonni kikkocristian at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 12:43:56 UTC 2014

Hi,

> I recall someone saying on this mailing list that WMF was working with
> the EFF on a joint statement regarding zero-rating and net-neutrality.
> Has that been released?  Is that still happening?  I would be much
> more comfortable with Wikipedia Zero if the EFF was supportive of
> zero-rated educational content being designated as as neutral ground
> in the net neutrality debate.  I expect that the EFF's position on a
> zero-rated Wikipedia will be a large consideration in the minds of
> many on whether it is 'right'.

I know about this article[1] by the EFF which ends with this statement:
«Whilst we appreciate the intent behind efforts such as Wikipedia
Zero, ultimately zero rated services are a dangerous compromise.»[1]

I am very torn with the question in general I would like to take a
pragmatic approach based on what Dimi said above: yes, it is a
discrimination, we recognize that but we shouldn't sit on our thumbs:
we will continue to seek agreements with carriers to provide Wikipedia
Zero and if a net neutrality law comes along ok, we will be happy for
what we have gained also in this case, but I don't think that going
back with the project on the pure basis of a net neutrality law that
may, in the end, not even exist looks too naïve for my taste.

[1] https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/07/net-neutrality-and-global-digital-divide