[Advocacy Advisors] Digital Rights Networking Lunch @ Wikimania

Yana Welinder ywelinder at wikimedia.org
Sun Aug 3 20:10:57 UTC 2014

I just realized that you scheduled the Digital Rights Networking Lunch at
the same time as the WikiWomen’s lunch. It doesn't look like a lot of
people have confirmed attendance and it hasn't been added to the official
Wikimania program.  So perhaps there is still time to reschedule.

Scheduling these two meetings at the same time means that most women who
are interested in policy will not be able to attend and the gathering will
be akin to an old-boys club. That in turn gives Wikimedia’s policy efforts
less legitimacy in the broader digital rights community, which has had a
lot of discussions about gender balance and has pretty good female
representation overall. I know that the Wikimania schedule is tight, but
there must be a way you can schedule this to avoid excluding an entire
gender!

Best,
Yana

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 3:34 AM, Dimitar Parvanov Dimitrov <
dimitar.parvanov.dimitrov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've set up a page [1] and requested a room for our networking lunch on
> Sunday. It will be in parallel with the WikiWomen's Lunch, so I apologise
> to everyone whose scheduling now got even harder. This was, however, the
> best possible timeslot I could manage.
>
> As it is not possible to get a list of all Wikimania attendees and filter
> out the digital and policy activists among them to send out invitations,
> please help me by inviting anyone you know will be present and interested.
>
> Thanks,
> Dimi
>
> [1]
> https://wikimania2014.wikimedia.org/wiki/Digital_Rights_Networking_Lunch

Yana Welinder
Legal Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation
415.839.6885 ext. 6867
@yanatweets <https://twitter.com/yanatweets>

NOTICE: As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.