[Advocacy Advisors] Wikipedia Zero and net neutrality

Stevie Benton stevie.benton at wikimedia.org.uk
Sat Aug 9 11:09:41 UTC 2014

Hello everyone. I don't actually have a solution, although I am thinking
about it a lot. But for anyone who is in doubt about the potential
difficulties that net neutrality faces because of Wikipedia Zero, I
recommend they take a look at this blog. It is written from what I consider
the "critical friend" perspective and articulates the arguments of Jens and
others very clearly.

https://www.accessnow.org/blog/2014/08/08/wikipedia-zero-and-net-neutrality-wikimedia-turns-its-back-on-the-open

It also reflects my own view pretty well. I hope we can have a calm and
reasoned discussion about this issue this evening at the net politics beer.

Thanks and regards,

Stevie

On 5 August 2014 07:08, Juergen Fenn <schneeschmelze at googlemail.com> wrote:

> > We tend to go out pontificating on these lists. What would be helpful is
> > solutioning. For net neutrality, how would you reconcile the need for
> free
> > public access to information with the ideals of net neutrality? This is
> the
> > library analogy. We believe libraries should exist in this new digital
> > world. Do you advise that they cannot? And if they can, how should we
> > articulate this better?
> >
> > Go ahead and take a stab at it.
>
> The solution probably is to go and partner with the libraries instead
> of the ISPs. Leave it to the libraries which ISP they choose. It is up
> to the libraries to provide access to resources for their users. They
> select the resources they provide and they mind the technical side
> behind it all. This is not the WMF's business. You only run the WP
> website and care about the community.
>
> Regards,
> Jürgen.

Stevie Benton
Head of External Relations
Wikimedia UK
+44 (0) 20 7065 0993 / +44 (0) 7803 505 173
@StevieBenton

Wikimedia UK is a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England
and Wales, Registered No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513.
Registered Office 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom. Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a
global Wikimedia movement. The Wikimedia projects are run by the
Wikimedia Foundation (who operate Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

*Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal
control over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.*