[Advocacy Advisors] Wikipedia Zero and net neutrality

Juergen Fenn schneeschmelze at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 5 06:08:06 UTC 2014

> We tend to go out pontificating on these lists. What would be helpful is
> solutioning. For net neutrality, how would you reconcile the need for free
> public access to information with the ideals of net neutrality? This is the
> library analogy. We believe libraries should exist in this new digital
> world. Do you advise that they cannot? And if they can, how should we
> articulate this better?
>
> Go ahead and take a stab at it.

The solution probably is to go and partner with the libraries instead
of the ISPs. Leave it to the libraries which ISP they choose. It is up
to the libraries to provide access to resources for their users. They
select the resources they provide and they mind the technical side
behind it all. This is not the WMF's business. You only run the WP
website and care about the community.

Regards,
Jürgen.