[Advocacy Advisors] Wikipedia Zero and net neutrality

Jens Best jens.best at wikimedia.de
Fri Aug 1 23:34:28 UTC 2014

Well,

my first repsonse to Erics text:

a lot of words, a lot of "believing in this & that", some emotional
storytelling - but nothing on the simple fact that any zero-rating is a
clear violation of net neutrality.

So, is this supposed to be the opening of a discussion? For me this text
doesn't sound like that any discussion with an open result is possible or
even welcomed.

This text is in clear contradiction to the recent statement of EFF. So is
the Foundation willingly trying to violate one of the basic principles of
an open web just to be part of the Facebook Zero, Google Zero, Coke Zero -
Group? Is the foundation really that naive to not see that this way it
becomes part of the marketing machine of access providers to deteriorate
user habits?

So, as a net neutrality advocate somebody has to ask him-/herself if he/she
really wants to participate in a discussion which result is already
determined. What is EFF saying to this clear violation of net neutrality by
WMF?

best regards

Jens Best

> Hi all,
>
> I wanted to follow up on the discussion on Wikipedia Zero and net
> neutrality on this list. We just posted a discussion on this topic:
> https://blog.wikimedia.org/2014/08/01/wikipedia-zero-and-net-neutrality-protecting-the-internet/
>
> Best,
> Yana
>
> --
> Yana Welinder
> Legal Counsel
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 415.839.6885 ext. 6867
>  @yanatweets <https://twitter.com/yanatweets>
>
> NOTICE: As an attorney for the Wikimedia Foundation, for legal/ethical
> reasons I cannot give legal advice to, or serve as a lawyer for, community
> members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal capacity. For more
> on what this means, please see our legal disclaimer
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Legal_Disclaimer>.

Jens Best
Präsidium
Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
web: http://www.wikimedia.de
mail: jens.best <http://goog_17221883>@wikimedia.de

Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig
anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,
Steuernummer 27/681/51985.