[Advocacy Advisors] Unclear usage restrictions on US Government works

Ryan Kaldari rkaldari at wikimedia.org
Tue Sep 24 19:05:48 UTC 2013

This is a fairly typical case of using non-copyright restrictions (
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Non-copyright_restrictions) to
try to limit reuse. The practice on Commons is to typically just ignore
such restrictions. Surprisingly, it's actually not a topic of much debate
or discussion on Commons. I imagine this is because there are much juicier
problems in actual copyright law to deal with. The only discussions I know
about are:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Deletion_requests/File:Miyuki_Hatoyama_Michelle_Obama_Yukio_Hatoyama_and_Barack_Obama_20090923.jpg

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Village_pump/Archive/2009Sep#White_House_photos.3F

Ryan Kaldari