[Advocacy Advisors] Unclear usage restrictions on US Government works

Stephen LaPorte slaporte at wikimedia.org
Tue Sep 24 17:25:16 UTC 2013

Public Knowledge has an interesting article about ambiguous usage
restrictions appearing on some US government photographs and video:

"The White House is not explicitly claiming copyright on these photos (the
license makes that clear), but this type of scary quasi-legal language gets
awful close to flirting with a bit of light copyfraud."

http://www.publicknowledge.org/blog/what-going-usage-restrictions-media-congress-

I know a number of Wikimedians are interested / activist in this area --
Jean-Frédéric had a great session on this general subject at Wikimania
2012. Do you know any other Wikimedians working on this? Does Commons have
any documentation or guidelines on the topic?

--
Stephen LaPorte
Legal Counsel

*For legal reasons, I may only serve as an attorney for the Wikimedia
Foundation. This means I may not give legal advice to or serve as a lawyer
for community members, volunteers, or staff members in their personal
capacity.*