[Advocacy Advisors] FYI - Creative Commons statement on copyright reform

Dimitar Parvanov Dimitrov dimitar.parvanov.dimitrov at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 14:10:26 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Here's a little bit of history:

When talking about efforts within the EU, we originally started with a very
long list that was put together in various brainstorming sessions over the
years, some of them as far back as 2009 [1]. It looked something like this:

   - Reproductions of 2D works --> should make sure that the
   law/regulations are very clear that this is not a new work
   - Database rights
   - Software patents
   - Exceptions to circumvent rules (disability-DRM, archives etc)
   - Copyright on government works and publicly funded works
   - Incentives for Open Government Data
   - Orphan works (when the copyright owner cannot be identified)
   - Public sector information
   - Stated purpose for copyright and limit to that (art, sciences,
   creativity, innovation)
      - Shorten duration of copyright
      - Raising threshold for the required added creativity to have
      copyright
      - Commissioning studies of copyright impact
   - Collecting societies and Creative Commons: impact on collection
   societies when works are freely licensed (surtax, restrictions on their
   members)
   - Freedom of panorama/Panoramafreiheit (and cross-border compatibility)
   - Principle of the applying the most flexible law within the EU
   - General data protection regulation (and right to be forgotten)

At a meeting last April, we saw the need to distill it and focus our
efforts, whereby we concentrated somewhat on the things that seemed
feasible (a new, global document we're talking about would concentrate on
the fundameltal issues).

Our current EU-related policy wishlist looks like this:

   - Government created works as part of the Public Domain (after a
   discussion, we decided that Open Access falls under this category, i.e. we
   also support the publishing of scientific works unde free licenses)
   - Freedom of Panorama
   - Orphan Works

As I already said, this is a list born out of our meeting in April [2] and
the question was to pick the low hanging fruits within the EU legislative
framework. For a global position, we would need to think long-term and more
fundamentally. Im my opinion things like copyright term (freezing or
shortening) must be included.

Best,

Dimi

[1]