Final Fantasy X is the tenth installment in the Final Fantasy
role-playing game series, and the first game of the series to be
released on the PlayStation 2. Introduced in 2001, it was once among
the top twenty best-selling console games of all time, and has sold in
excess of 7.93 million copies worldwide. Set in the fantasy world of
Spira, the game's story centers around a group of adventurers and
their quest to defeat a rampaging force known as "Sin." The game is
significant in the Final Fantasy series in that it marks the
transition from entirely pre-rendered backdrops to fully
three-dimensional areas with the PlayStation 2â€™s robust graphical
capabilities. Additionally, it is the first in the series to feature a
wide range of realistic facial expressions, as well as other
technological developments in graphical effects, such as variance in
lighting and shadow from one section of a character's clothing to the
next. Final Fantasy X is also the first in the series to feature
voice-over actors, as well as the first to spawn a direct sequel,
Final Fantasy X-2. (More...)
Read the rest of this article:
Today's selected anniversaries:
– Roderic and the Visigoths in Iberia were defeated in the Battle of
Guadalete by Moorish Umayyad invaders led by Tariq ibn-Ziyad.
– Lady Jane Grey was replaced by Mary I of England (pictured) as Queen
of England after holding that title for just nine days.
– The two-day Women's Rights Convention opened in Seneca Falls, New
York, United States.
– France declared war on Prussia, starting the Franco-Prussian War.
– Burmese nationalist Aung San was assassinated.
– Sandinista rebels overthrew the US-backed government of the Somoza
family in Nicaragua.
Wikiquote of the day:
"Truth is never ugly when one can find in it what one needs." -- Edgar