[Wikiversity-l] wikiversity/wikieducator

Cormac Lawler cormaggio at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 13:22:24 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 8:32 PM, Leigh Blackall <leighblackall at gmail.com>
wrote:

> What are the differences between Wikiversity and Wikieducator?
> What are the similarities?
> What are the strengths and weaknesses of them both?
> Why do you use one before the other?
> Do you think the two projects should work more closely?
> Should representatives from both projects meet in Wikimania this year to
> discuss all of the above?

Thanks Leigh,

I don't have much problem with WV and WE existing independently to the
extent that they are both developing repositories of free content.
(Licensing issues exist, but I trust that they are being worked on.) My main
problem however, is around the idea of developing an educational *space*,
which Wikiversity is explicitly trying to do, albeit in a very experimental
stage. Addressing this question requires a diverse community, and much
creative thinking - and this is something that I would like to see more of.
However, there being 'two communities', means that people in Wikieducator
probably don't know of this question and initiative, and therefore do not
participate, making this experiment an often lonely experience. Of course I
would like there to me more sharing along these sorts of lines - and please
forgive my shameless plug for my own research, which is attempting to
address this question <
http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Developing_Wikiversity_through_action_research>.
:-) So I would very much like to pursue this discussion of how WV and WE can
cooperate more - seeing as, with their organisational backgrounds being
quite different, a merge of the two could be problematic.

Cormac