[Wikiversity-l] wikiversity/wikieducator

Teemu Leinonen teemu.leinonen at taik.fi
Mon Mar 17 21:21:15 UTC 2008

Hi Leigh,

Great questions, again. :-) I have pretty much gave up to spend much
time thinking about this.

Of course it is a pity that the current situation is practically
dividing the world when we could look for the smallest common factor
and join.

My argument of putting my time and effort to develop Wikiversity
instead of Wikieducator is simply the fact the the first one is a
global international, non-governmental, grassroots movement, when the
later one is a project facilitated by a governmental organization.
With the organization behind the Wikieducator I do not have anything
to do: not as a citizen of one nation, neither as a professional
working in the field. I know that for people with whatever links to
the governmental organization behind Wikieducator - from passport, to
emotional bonds, to the fact of working for a member government or
for the actual organization - making this choice is much more difficult.

Anyway, Wikiversity/Wikieducator are both working for the same common
good and as a such they are important. This is the case with many
initiatives aiming to do good. Sometime a fair competition "in the
business of doing good" can also be hmm... good. For instance we may
ask would there me Wikieducator without Wikiversity?

Leigh Blackall kirjoitti 17.3.2008 kello 13:32:
> What are the differences between Wikiversity and Wikieducator?

I guess I already partly replied to this. There are also differences
in the organizational practices  and pedagogical approaches. I also
think that there might be some more fundamental differences also in
the vision of the two. At least Wikiversity is very heterogeneous in
this, as all the different language version of it may have a bit
different vision.

> What are the similarities?

Use of wiki technology and aim to improve education around the world.

> What are the strengths and weaknesses of them both?

Let's do a whole SWOT when we'll meet IRL. :-)

> Why do you use one before the other?

I guess I already replied to this.

> Do you think the two projects should work more closely?

Not necessary.

> Should representatives from both projects meet in Wikimania this
> year to discuss all of the above?

Yes. I am organizing a panel discussion in the Wikimania 2008 about
the OERs and globalization. The draft panel proposal is in here:

http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/
Open_educational_resources_and_globalization

Please, feel free to join us. The deadline is in 48 hours so you must
be fast. I am afraid that during the Wikimania at least some
representative of the Wikieducator will be in the Fifth Pan-
Commonwealth Forum on Open Learning, in London, U.K. The dates of the
COL event are 13 -17 and the Wikimania is 17-1 July.

Peace and love,

	- Teemu

PS. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VucczIg98Gw

Teemu Leinonen