[Wikitext-l] Fwd: [Wikitech-l] WOM

Sumana Harihareswara sumanah at wikimedia.org
Mon Aug 1 19:59:14 UTC 2011

Magnus sent this link and I think you'd be interested:

"Abstract: Wikipedia is a rich encyclopedia that is not only of great
use to its contributors and readers but also to researchers and
providers of third party software around Wikipedia. However, Wikipedia’s
content is only available as Wikitext, the markup language in which
articles on Wikipedia are written, and whoever needs to access the
content of an article has to implement their own parser or has to use
one of the available parser solutions. Unfortunately, those parsers
which convert Wikitext into a high-level representation like an abstract
syntax tree (AST) define their own format for storing and providing
access to this data structure. Further, the semantics of Wikitext are
only defined implicitly in the MediaWiki software itself. This situation
makes it difficult to reason about the semantic content of an article or
exchange and modify articles in a standardized and machine-accessible
way. To remedy this situation we propose a markup language, called XWML,
in which articles can be stored and an object model, called WOM, that
defines how the contents of an article can be read and modified."