[Wikipedia-l] Proposed fork of Wikipedia

marqoz marqoz at wp.pl
Mon Jul 14 14:57:21 UTC 2008

Maury Markowitz wrote:

> You know what makes the Wiki a "pleasant and productive environment"? Not
> having to deal with people who don't actually write articles telling me
> how to write articles.

Brilliant!

> The Wikipedia is a collection of articles. All else is secondary,
> especially the rules. If you believe a different set of rules will somehow
> result in a better encyclopedia, by all means, go for it.

I may add "go for it... in your own article". But please, for God's sake, do
not wipe away articles, peoples wrote sacrificing his time. Make them
better, if you only can, but don't delete.

Wikipedia should be an open environment. If you want to evaluate articles
maybe there could be some marks for quality granted by specific fora, the
same as member of Linkedin can opt to be in specific groups of his choice.
Such a forum could have different quality concerns from another. What would
be of some value for all this "quality warriors" is to add ability to filter
quality in searching articles which - I hope - is a peace of cake to
implement.

You add quality by adding value, not by subtracting it.

Marqoz