[Wikipedia-l] This is a 'first-timer' - should I havemissunderstood something then please have mercy for me

Michael Laudahn ml at worldimprover.net
Mon Jan 23 22:57:50 UTC 2006

I had intended to reach some kind of 'top-level' discussion group which also
is read by people with acess to Jimmy Wales - assuming I cannot reach him
directly. After desciption of the case, this group was pointed out to me by
Wikipedia (through some kind of hotline, though, according to my
impression).

Is my impression wrong that Wikipedia should have a certain interest in
maintaining a similarly high standard at least throughout the western world,
i e refrain from succumbing to corrupt banana republic practices which may
be order of the day in some countries that so far have managed to keep up
appearances to the opposite?

I have made the experience that Google HQ intervenes with their german
affiliate when they have succumbed to pressure from local dignitaries (and
after having been informed accordingly), in the interest of maintaining
their service level throughout. I would advocate for a similar procedure in
the Wikipedia realm, because experience shows that it seems necessary.

So after knowing also the rest of the story, is your recommendation with
regard to the wikien-l at wikimedia.org still valid? Otherwise, what would you
recommend? You can use my personal address, if you prefer.