[Wikipedia-l] Paying for providing data to customers

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Wed Jan 18 17:01:24 UTC 2006

On 1/18/06, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> When you pay for Internet access, you pay for the utility of Internet.
> The ISP provides you with access to the Internet. This means that they
> provide you with a SPECIFIC bandwith. What BellSouth is doing is
> essentially not only make you pay but the organisation that is putting
> content on the Internet as well. So they make you pay twice because it
> is obvious that the organisation that is made to pay will increase
> your bill by that amount.
>
> Until this time you pay for a service, a given amount of access to the
> Internet. With this proposal you do not get this service because
> additional tolls have to be paid.
>
> Thanks,
>    GerardM

I guess I just don't understand what this proposal is all about.  Did
you read some other articles about it other than the one you provided?
 Because the article whose url you gave doesn't really make it clear
what is going on.

Content providers already do pay to put their content on the Internet,
and personally I would think that the proper move would be to shift
costs away from the content providers.

Which is to say, if the proposal really is trying to force content
providers to pay more for providing content I would think the free
market would take care of making sure it never succeeds :).  Even
BellSouth doesn't have *that much* market power.

Anthony