[Wikipedia-l] Re: Anglicised English British English

Giuseppe DAngelo pippudoz at yahoo.it
Mon Sep 19 12:18:10 UTC 2005

I love these kinds of debates - the ones that can go around in circles until the cows come home.  Sure, I get pissed off (AE pissed) at american spellings as much as the next bloke - but it doesn't mean I can't follow what's going on - nor does it mean that it will ever influence my  pristine, strawberries and cream, Oxbridge,  very best of the Queen's english - with a name like Giuseppe d'Angelo - you wouldn't expect otherwise would you?

I love the fact that there are a couple of thousand words that might be found in wikipedia with two spellings (both equally acceptable).  It makes it easier for me to point to my thick skulled paisani and say to them: don't worry if a word can be spelled two or three (or five or seven) ways in Sicilian - it's the same word and we all understand it regardless of how you want to spell it  - it's not as big an issue as you think - look at English! - the language of the lower orders under Norman rule now rules the world - but the varieties are as many as teams in the English FA.  It hasn't mattered one jot - there are more important things to worry about  - like who will win out of the Sydney Swans and West Coast Eagles this Saturday at the MCG and will Bazza be rubbed out for a week?  And has there truly been a leak in the brownlow voting? Now they're important questions!
Salutamu
pippu d'angelo