[Wikipedia-l] Re: Re: new request for ASL/English wikipedia

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 14:46:28 UTC 2005

"Andrew Gray" <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote in
message news:f3fedb0d050909110328f83dbb at mail.gmail.com...
> On 09/09/05, Ros' Haruo <rosharuo at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  ... the project would likely cope much better as part of the
>> larger en.wiki community. — Andrew Gray
>> (these are just a couple of random selections, nothing against either
>> poster
>> personally) could, I think, easily be taken as opposing the basic
>> Wikipedian
>> principle of people's right to access to information in their own
>> languages.
> My point was mainly directed at the "bilingual" idea. If it is to
> involve a large amount of text in English, which is the impression I
> got from the query, alongside the ASL... then it makes sense to try
> and arrange it in such a way as to take advantage of the fact that we
> have a well-developed, organised community writing that English text
> at an astonishing rate.

I concur, at the present time.

I can see very little difference between providing [[en:Wikipedia:Spoken
Wikipedia]] for those who have a problem with their sight and providing
[[en:Wikipedia:Signed Wikipedia]] for those who have a problem with their
hearing.

If the idea takes off and a great many articles are converted into Sign
Language, and someone comes up with a brilliant way of editing Sign Language
in a wiki-like manner, then this material could be used to jump-start a new
Wikipedia.

It seems to me that we could get a great deal done using the material we
already have, rather than waiting for the requisite wheel to be invented.

I sit ready to be corrected, of course, and I await developments eagerly.
--
Phil
[[en:User:Phil Boswell]]