[Wikipedia-l] GFDL works inside other published works

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Sun May 1 00:48:06 UTC 2005

I'm not an expert, but I have a few thoughts.

My guess is that on the page near the beginning of the book where it
gives copyright information, it should say "some portions of this book
are (C) Wikipedia, and are released under the GNU Free Documentation
licence" or something of the sort.

There should also be, somewhere in the book, a list of which parts are
from Wikipedia, and it should list all contributors for each article -
real names where available, pseudonyms where not, and rather than
listing all IPs say "and a number of anonymous contributors". I
personally would ask on the talkpages of those users with only
pseudonyms given if perhaps they'd be willing to divulge their real
name for the book - I know that I certainly would rather be cited in a
book as Mark Williamson than node_ue.

And as far as listing pseudonyms looking funny: just use quotes around
the name, such as "B Movie Bandit", "Vandalbot", "I Am Sexy", etc.

Mark

On 30/04/05, Sj <2.718281828 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Someone in Boston is publishing a book in which he would like to
> include a few entire Wikipedia articles; he wrote me recently to ask
> whether this had been done before, and precisely how he should go
> about including the GFDL where, to clarify which sections of the
> published work it covers, and how he should most perfectly comply with
> the license (should he list main authors himself?  all non-anon
> authors?  should he use pseudonyms or full names of both are
> available? Do IP contributors ever include their real name on their
> user page?  Will it look funny to list pseudonyms as authors in what
> is otherwise a scholarly text?).
>
> If there are precedents, please point me to them.  If anyone can
> advise on this matter, please respond!  Perhaps I should I contact the
> FSF directly, but I thought I'd check with this list first.
>
> --SJ, who is very curious what said book is about

SI HOC LEGERE SCIS NIMIVM ERVDITIONIS HABES
QVANTVM MATERIAE MATERIETVR MARMOTA MONAX SI MARMOTA MONAX MATERIAM
POSSIT MATERIARI
ESTNE VOLVMEN IN TOGA AN SOLVM TIBI LIBET ME VIDERE