[Wikipedia-l] Re: 4 new Wikipedias have just been created

katimawan . katimawan2005 at yahoo.es
Thu Jun 23 15:51:36 UTC 2005

On behalf of my fellow Kapampangans, I wish to thank the people from Wikimedia, and others who have lent their support, for making the Kapampangan Wikipedia a reality .  This is an important milestone for our language, in the continuing quest to revitalize it and make it responsive to the needs of the 21st century.  Its fortuitous appearance in the wake of the re-introduction of the language to schools in the Kapampangan capital means that schoolchildren, who are increasingly familiar with the Internet, will have a reliable reference in the native tongue easily accessible to them.
A Wikipedia in our beloved mother tongue is a precious and beautiful thing, and we will do our best to take care of it.

Thank you too, for giving our Cebuano brothers their Wikipedia.  They deserve it richly.  Congratulations to them.  Congratulations, too, to our friends who speak Scots and Võro, who now also have Wikipedias of their own.  And I appreciate Mark's statement that the other major Philippine languages not yet represented so far should also have their own Wikipedias.  That is something to look forward to.

I do not understand why some people say that language is a source of division.  If you give people their own voice, in their own tongue (as opposed to suppressing it), then you are actually promoting world understanding.  More power to Wikipedia for the great work that it is doing.

Edwin