[Wikipedia-l] 4 new Wikipedias have just been created

Boris Lohnzweiger BorisLohnzweiger at web.de
Thu Jun 23 15:02:49 UTC 2005

That's real good news. Thanks to Tim Starling and everyone else involved in preparing the new Wikipedias from me, too. And good luck to our new Cebuano, Kapampangan, Scots and Võro editors!

I believe all of these four Wikipedias will soon prove to be successful (even though they will probably grow at differnent speeds). The reason I'm sure of this that each of them had a number of people interested in contributing even before they were created. And that separates them from a lot of Wikipedias created in the past which are inactive now. Like Mark, I hope a lot more editions will follow. But I think we should always keep in mind that it takes a minimum number of commited people right from the start. Otherwise there is no point in creating a Wikipedia for a certain language, no matter how many people speak it. That's a lesson we had to learn and if we keep it in mind many more successful Wikipedias will follow.

Boris