Fwd: [Wikipedia-l] Requests page

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 08:38:51 UTC 2005

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mark Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com>
Date: 20-Jun-2005 01:38
Subject: Re: [Wikipedia-l] Requests page
To: Mark Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com>

Simple German failed? I saw an awful lot of support, and it was
definitely still a hot topic.

Parseltongue, pretty much dead, yes. Pig Latin, a pretty silly request
in the first place, but you must admit it got two supporters, and the
issue was never really resolved head-on as it should've been.

Sindarin, part of an ongoing debate about artificial language
Wikipedias, can now be found at [[Requests for new languages/Tolkien
languages]], along with Quenya.

Silbo Gomero did not fail, nor was it rediculous.

Such requests as Parseltongue, or maybe even Pig Latin, do not disturb
me that much that you removed them, and I certainly would not have
added them back (well actually, I didn't add Parseltongue back, only
Pig Latin), had you not also gotten rid of scores of more questionable
cases.

As Angela noted, in the past requests have just been deleted. But they
were seldom legit requests for real languages, and when they were they
were often left up for a long time because the page never got very big
(*cough*scottgall*cough*). I don't think it was until very recently
that actual legitimate requests began being deleted, especially after
a time of less than a few months.

What should be pursued is NOT a policy of widespread deletion of
requests after time-limits, but rather of calming down the surge of
activity by somehow getting Scott Gall to request every tomian,
dickler, and harryish language he reads about on Wikipedia. He
requested an Ainu Wikipedia, and didn't even know that the Japanese
and Chinese Ainu are not related.

I left him a note on his talkpage asking him to withdraw some of his
requests, and to refrain from making so many. It seems that
NaziismIsntCool has begun to follow Scott's example and is now
requesting new WPs frequently, this should be quickly curbed with a
note on her talkpage explaining that the page is meant for serious
requests only.

Mark

--
SI HOC LEGERE SCIS NIMIVM ERVDITIONIS HABES
QVANTVM MATERIAE MATERIETVR MARMOTA MONAX SI MARMOTA MONAX MATERIAM