[Wikipedia-l] Re: Article validation probably won't be switched on for 1.5

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 19 17:35:29 UTC 2005

David Gerard wrote:

>Unfortunately, unless a lot of good coding happens in reasonably short
>order, Special:Validate probably won't be enabled on en: for 1.5 (to be
>released next weekend). Brion has serious concerns with the present code.

Since Brion states one of his major concerns as the fact that it loads
metadata for all revisions of the page, can't we restrict the validation
feature so that it only gets applied to the current revision? At least
for the time being, I don't think this feature needs greater capability
than that in order to be useful for testing purposes.

Ratings from the validation feature could still attach specifically to a
particular revision, since the database will now be assigning unique
revision data to current versions, if I understand correctly. And for
those few cases where someone might be wishing to validate something
other than the current revision, it's likely that either the article is
in sufficient flux that they can wait briefly for a version they want,
or they can edit the article themselves before rating it.

--Michael Snow